Badut Temple is located about 9 kilometers from Malang, East
Java. This temple, that stand up in Badut Village at the
foot of Mount Kawi was built in 8th century by Gajayana
empire. In order to reach this point it’d better passing
Badut name is derived from Sanskrit words "Bha-dyut" means
Canopus or Agastya starlight. This temple is Sivaistics
since there are the symbols of "lingga" and "yoni" which are
the representations of sex between Siva and his wife.
It is 1400 years old and is a heritage of Prabu Gajayana,
the ruler of Kanjuruhan Kingdom. Badut is found by
Maurenbrecher when it was covered by thick trees and plants.
The temple is constructed since 1925 until 1926 and still
the remaining of the temple complex is scattered around.
There are four openings each sides of the temple and each
opening is the location of four statues.
Nevertheless, the only statue there is the
Mahesa sura mardhini while the other statues are saved in
National Museum, Jakarta. Badut temple lies at the Dukuh
Gasek, Karang Besuki sub district, Sukun, Malang city.